SAGGALEIN(SPICY VEGETABLE CURRY) Back to Curries Recipes
This is a spicy vegetable side dish which forms an important part of the konkani menu on many occasions. It is wholesome and can be made with vegetables like ladies’ finger, brinjal,ridgegourd etc. It is very simple to prepare.
- ladies’ finger(or any other vegetable)-250gms,
- coconut scrapings-1 cup,
- red chillies-4,
- urad dal(blackgram dal)-2tsps,
- methi(fenugreek) seeds-1/2tsp,
- hing(solid)-1 small piece,
- corriander seeds-2tsps,
- tamarind-an avla size,
- mustard seeds-1tsp,
- salt to taste and
- curry leaves.
- Wash and cut ladies’ finger(okra) or any other vegetable in one inch long pieces and fry in little oil. Keep aside.
- Also fry in oil corriander seeds, methi seeds, hing and urad dal to brown colour. Soak tamarind for a few minutes. Grind these fried items with coconut and tamarind to a paste(masala).
- Cook the fried vegetable in a vessel in 2cups of water for 5 mts. Add masala and salt. Cook for another 2 mts.
- Do phannu(season) with mustard seeds and curry leaves in oil.
Preparation Time : 20 minutes
Tags : curries , saggalein , ladies finger
Posted by http://prabhaskitchen.wordpress.com on 2012-11-22