- About Us
- Contact Us
History of GSS Samaj
Prior to the reorganization of states, a few families of Gowda Saraswath Brahmins lived in Bangalore particularly at Hanumanthnagar, Gandhibazar & Malleshwaram. After 1956 there has been an influx of GSBs to Bangalore for business, to start industries and for employment particularly after the IT Industry started flourishing.
Gowda Saraswath Sevak Samaj was registered under the Karnataka Society´s Registration Act 1960 on 21-10-1978 at Bangalore with a membership of 69 including 7 life members. This was the culmination of prolonged deliberations by a band of energetic and enthusiastic Gowda Saraswath Brahmins residing in Rajajinagar, North Bangalore, who realized the need for a place to get together, where they would get to know their brethren closer, a body which could arrange religious and cultural programmes for the religious enrichment of the community and an organ which would devote itself to the noble cause of the upliftment of the impoverished, a forum for the overall benefit of the members, especially for those GSBs residing in North Bangalore.
No doubt they were fully aware of the existence of Gowda Saraswath Samaj at Dwarakanath Bhavan, Basavanagudi, formed much earlier in 1955 and the yeomen service they were rendering to the community. But the practical difficulties faced by the members residing in northern parts of Bangalore prevented them from actively participating in the activities and functions due to distance and difficulty in commuting. This realization hardened the resolve of these devoted people to offer similar services in North Bangalore. After being told that there was no provision in the constitution of the Basavanagudi samaj to start a branch, the Gowda Saraswatha Sevak Samaj was born. The Basavanagudi Samaj assured all help, assistance and guidance. HH.Srimad Sudheendra Theertha Swamiji of Sri Kashi Math Samsthan was apprised of the situation and the Samaj received His blessings. After registration, the Samaj sought the blessings of the Swamijies of Sri Kashi Math, Sri Kavale Math and Sri Gokarna Parthagali Math and received Their blessings. Thus Gowda Saraswath Sevak Samaj was born with the blessings of the SwamiJies of all three Maths.
The Samaj was located at the time of registration in 1978 at #74, 1st R Block, Rajajinagar, Bangalore - 560 010 at the residence of the founder Secretary Sri. G.M. Pai. Sri P.V.Kamath was the founder president. After about an year it was moved to Room No.1, "Mathruchaya" Subramanya Nagar, Bangalore - 560 021, residence of Sri N.G. Shenoy, then Treasurer. Later, on 27th March 1992 the office was shifted to our own premises at 68/69, Chitrapur Bhavan, 15th Cross, Malleshwaram, Bangalore -560 055.
The members of the Samaj during the period 1982- 87 played an Important voluntary part in the establishment of a branch of Sri Kashi Math in Malleswaram Banglaore, by HH Srimad Sudheendra Theertha Swamaji in the year 1987. Since then owing to the gracious permission and blessings of HH Swamiji, most of the gatherings of the Samaj are held at the premises of Bangalore Sri Kashi Math. Our Vice President from 1982 - 1985 Sri B.Sarvotham Pai and our Secretary Sri K.Vittal Kamath as well as our President Sri V.M. Pai have also been nominated by HH Swamiji to serve on the Vyavasthapaka Samithi of Bangalore Sri Kashi Math.